
I went to the Weston town green this morning to help place three thousand plus flags on the lawn to commemorate the September 11 attacks. At 8:46 the church bells rang and the high school students, police and firemen, the moms and dads, little kids and assorted other folks slowly but efficiently placed flags in the pre-drilled holes in the grass. It was gray, sprinkling rain, not the blue-skied day of September 11, 2001. I was in the Post Office that morning when the 2nd plane hit the World Trade Center. Everyone was frozen listening to the radio. Driving on Rt 2 afterward, the traffic moved unimaginably slow - a shared trauma. It was quiet today too, solemn. A wound still deeply felt.

YES! I wonder whos idea that was to do that on the green...they breath taking and moving!!!
ReplyDeleteI found it rather concerning how at school we did not have a moment of silence...where is at the public schools we had a huge school gathering and raising of the flag on September 11....im not sure why Walnut Hill didn't do that???