
July 16 - 2005, our marriage on a very warm summer afternoon with friends and family filling the garden, and our Buddhist meditation teacher presiding under a somewhat unconventional hoopa. On Thursday Rick brought home a giant bouquet of wedding flowers to celebrate.
And in 1999 on July 16 John Kennedy Jr, his bride and her sister were killed when their plane disappeared into the waters off Martha's Vineyard. I remember hearing, then watching the news - mesmerized, deeply saddened. Maybe in part I was remembering the Kennedy assassination in 1963 -a traumatized child, experiencing a traumatized nation in mourning. The only other event with that power for me was 9/11... another story altogether.
In light of this, it was interesting to be at the ICA on the 16th for the Shep Fairey exhibit. He has a complex engagement with culture (high & low), politics, media, celebrity. I found the work engaging, provocative and dimensional. Really glad to finally get there to see it. I was not expecting to be as touched by the work.
And in 1999 on July 16 John Kennedy Jr, his bride and her sister were killed when their plane disappeared into the waters off Martha's Vineyard. I remember hearing, then watching the news - mesmerized, deeply saddened. Maybe in part I was remembering the Kennedy assassination in 1963 -a traumatized child, experiencing a traumatized nation in mourning. The only other event with that power for me was 9/11... another story altogether.
In light of this, it was interesting to be at the ICA on the 16th for the Shep Fairey exhibit. He has a complex engagement with culture (high & low), politics, media, celebrity. I found the work engaging, provocative and dimensional. Really glad to finally get there to see it. I was not expecting to be as touched by the work.

No comments:
Post a Comment